Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best way to check image quality of exposures?

Hi,

So after watching and reading multiple tutorials about image processing (DSS & Photoshop) I can't help but notice they all suggest only stacking your best exposures. This obviously makes sense as surely adding poor quality exposures would ultimately degrade the final picture do a certain extent.

So with this being said how do people check what exposures they should stack? 

Thanks

Ross

I think DSS scores each image so you can decide a threshold under which to discard images that might not meet the required quality. I haven't used it for a while so can't remember what the scores are. But it is a quick rough and ready way to check them

Pixinsight has a checking tool where you can also run through your images in sequence to check quality and discard those you aren't happy with...clouds and satellite trails for instance. It's not a cheap programme but you can trial it to see if you like it.

Main Sequence Software who wrote SGP have some free utilities on their downloads page. One of them is FITS Image grader which will score all images in a folder (including subfolders if you wish) and also give an HFR for each image. The score can optionally be appended to the filename (original or a copy). It also gives a  summery giving the average scores for each filter. I find it useful. ?

Alan

Archived