Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Screwed up my SCT, big time :(

The weather here is quite bad this whole week, but I can't wait so I took my scope out and do some test. Did not get a bright enough star to do collimation test so I'm left with the planets and the result are as follow. I used a 5x barlow with my Nexstar 8SE under poor seeing condition (thin cloud, the moon has this big, hazy crown around it) 

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.8d53e80c0e4722aee44431f15806796f.jpg

Saturn with 120 secs capture at 25fps, stacked 300 best frames; SS 1/24; ISO 12800; Camera Sony A7s; Barlow 5x; Nexstar 8SE. sharpening and denoise with lightroom

output_3-2.thumb.jpg.aaf4d0314cd803e77d65f119c766abad.jpg  

Jupiter with 60 secs capture at 25fps, stacked 120 best frames; SS 1/50; ISO 51200; Camera Sony A7s; Barlow 5x; Nexstar 8SE. sharpening and denoise with lightroom

final.thumb.jpg.c72a4f86fba3e594b8dac4f9609d7d42.jpg

Moon crater with 30 secs capture at 25fps, stacked 80 best frames; SS 1/50; ISO 400; Camera Sony A7s; Barlow 5x; Nexstar 8SE. sharpening and denoise with lightroom

I could not seems to capture much of Jovian details on Jupiter, I did not know is it because of the collimation of I simply pushed my scope out of its power with 5x barlow. 

What do you guys thinks? 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

Good images for a C8 in less than ideal conditions. I think overpowering is affecting the image more than any collimation issues.

Yeap. I'll keep an eye out for better weather. No much hope though since it's monsoon season here.

4 hours ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

Wouldn't you have less noise with a lower ISO?

Yeah I would but then again the seeing condition is not that good so I didnt have much light from the planet to begin with. The 5x barlow reduce f ratio to almose f/50 which is insane. I have to bump up the ISO to get a resonably bright image. The noise level is high but managable and I figured since i'm stacking anyway, the noise would not be much of a problem.

56 minutes ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

Is that a brigth storm at Saturn's equator?

Im not quite sure. The image is so noisy Im not sure if it's noise or really something there

Archived