NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

North facing garden

Hi, :undecided: I have a north facing garden and i havejustdiscovered that most interesting objects are in the southern sky asthatis where the galactic plane lies. Can anyone direct me to something of interest in the northern sky? I do have a small window ofopportunityfor the south, between my house and next door's, but there is a street light situated there.I have been at the site forbeginner recommended objects but the only one in the northern sky is Mizar, and that is not seeable until Feb. Any suggestions :) :) would be very much appreciated.

ken

hello,

i always try to start a night by looking straight up and using some software to see what is over head.

this is where the sky is best i.e. the thinest and most setted. looking south you will get the things that come round yearly and are not visible all the time,however if you have a good north then you should have no problem finding nice galaxies to look at all year round, M51 M101 M81 M82 M97 M106 etc

ally

There are three really great galaxies visible around Ursa Major (The Plough)

M51

M81

M82

Also, during the summer, the summer triangle is almost overhead. There are many interesting objects in the region too.

Can you see east and west at all?

Hi - my garden is north facing. My southern view is obscured by the house. I can see south above the equator however. The main problem is that it makes viewing the planets difficult (especially at the moment). There is plenty in the northern sky and above to view. I also have east and west views, but the view to the east is often wrecked by light pollution.

Ed

There's loads of stuff in the northern half of the sky!! Just because the MW doesn't run through it doesn't mean your getting less....far from it infact, you'll be able to see distant galaxies.

Right now Auriga, Taurus, Orion, Perseus, Cassiopeia, Andromeda, Ursa Major and Minor are available, I would enjoy it!

I also have a North facing garden and yes, it can be a bit of a pain (I can only ever get to see Jupiter in between my house and next doors') but most of the really good south facing stuff in Scorpio and Sagitarius is pretty low anyway so the view wouldn't be great. Facing North right now, Cassiopea is probably the best for visual. There's a few really nice open clusters in there along with a couple of nice double stars. Unless you live under DARK skies, I'd give anything (with the exception of Mizar/Alcor) in Ursa Major a miss as it's lowest point right now right underneath Polaris. Auriga and Perseus are rising in the North East/East too and there's loads to observe in those.

Just remember that the ecliptic is higher in the Winter than it is in the Summer so unless you have a postage stamp garden, Orion, Monoceros and friends should clear your house. My garden is 45' long(ish) and I get Sirius scraping over the rooftops for about 6 weeks or so.

Tony..

:undecided: Thanks very much for your advice everyone. I have been out for a few hrs now and i am gettingacquainted,and therefore orientated, with the constellations and stars, the stellarium programme is excellent and has helped me a great deal just in one evening. Also,as a beginner, i wasskepticalabout the value of binoculars butnevertheless i bought a pair (9x63) as all members here seem to have them and i would not now be without them as i used them more than the telescope as they are much easier to use(as you all know) for abeginnerto get to know the sky. I have just been looking at the moon with the scope and was amazed at those craters and how deep they are. Thanks again.

ken

Ken,

My garden also faces north.

My favourite objects in my bino's as well as my scope are in Cassiopeia. There is everything you need there. Not far away is the double cluster in Perseus,which will be beautiful in your binoculars. Auriga,well,M36 M37 M38 all visible in your binoculars. At the Zenith will be Cygnus. Just sweep through the starfields and get 'lost in space'. Don't forget Albireo, a beautiful double.

OK, I'll stop or I'll be here all night.

Enjoy.

Argonaut.

My garden faces north east, so I have similar problems, but as others have said (and here I particularly agree with Tony) there is still much to see and in the early hours of the mornining Orion, although low, is still visible.

Brinders

Archived