NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cleaning the lenses

I have used the wonderfluid too but you have to be really really careful and generally things have not ended up any cleaner after I have "cleaned" them :undecided: . there are some who say that you should only ever clean eyepices as a last resort for that reason (I think that's what the "Turn left at Orion" guys write) - suggest that you start with your least fave eyepice and see how it goes - I might just be an incompetent cleaner...

ps i dabbed v v gently with wonderfluid on a cotton bud and then removed excess with another cotton bud

Dan

edit - if you mean the objective lens of a refractor I would be even more cautious

I stand to be corrected but i think breathing on it and wiping it with a specs cloth can a) scratch it (ie if there are particles on it) and :undecided: spoil the coatings :scratch:

i think ideally one should use an air blower first (I don't have one) to remove any loose stuff

someone posted a really good post on how to clean eyepices and lenses ... may be worth doing a search

Here's what Astro-Physics say about it (.pdf, sorry) - http://www.astro-physics.com/products/accessories/cleaningproducts/optcs-instructions.pdf

They recommend Baader Optical Wonder Cleaning Fluid, along with "Purosol Enzyme Optical Fluid" for tougher deposits

there's also the advice that "[extremely difficult to remove sopts] ... and may require professional service if you absolutely must have them removed.

The way it is done here is by using the powerful enzymes found in saliva. These will remove almost any contaminant, no matter how hard they have been cemented onto the coated glass surface" (!!!)

Just a note: be VERY careful if using compressed air, even if it's manufactured for use with cameras and other optics. Through the years there have been numerous warnings posted by Amateurs about the propellant in the can being spit out along with the air, and making quite a mess.

Archived