90 minutes Veil

david_taurus83

Inspired by Friday nights success of actually observing both east and western sides of the Veil, I thought I'd take the chance to image it with my new camera lense. When I say new, I mean the vintage Vivitar 135mm F2.8 scoured off Ebay for less than 30 quid. It was a nice change to have a simple set up for imaging. Just the tripod, mount and camera on a dovetail bar. No guiding, wires, laptop etc. Despite the almost full moon mocking me with a bright halo highlighting the high cloud last night, i pulled out more detail than i expected for such short subs. Stars are out of focus but they were not the objective. I'm happy with it. Will spend more time on this another time.

60 x 90s subs ISO800 unguided

15 darks, 20 flats, 30 bias.

DSS stacked and 15 minute process in Pixinsight. Just enough for a casual project.

Veil 135mm Pix 1.jpg

That's turned out really well-some beautiful colouring in the veil. I went simple last night, for some relaxing planetary. This time of year complex DSO setups really aren't sensible. :D 

Did you use any narrowband filters, at all? Or is it just plain modified OSC? :) I'd like to try this object once the nights start up again.

John

7 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

That's turned out really well-some beautiful colouring in the veil. I went simple last night, for some relaxing planetary. This time of year complex DSO setups really aren't sensible. :D 

Did you use any narrowband filters, at all? Or is it just plain modified OSC? :) I'd like to try this object once the nights start up again.

John

Thanks John. Just the Canon 600d. I lifted the red a little to enhance the nebula and used an inverted star mask to reduce the star field. Yes I agree, there's not enough dark sky now for a fully fledged DSO setup. Anyway, I'd need a 9 panel mosaic to fit this in if I used my 200p!

Archived