SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter on the Longest Day

AndyWB

I made it out for a look at the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn last night. It's my first time out with a scope in ages, though only with the 80mm.

Jupiter was so clear! The Great Red Spot was right in the middle, and so obvious. It seems it's colour has returned a bit, and it's a bit more clearly separated from the SEB? There were also two dark festoons in the NEB just above it. It was a fantastic sight.  The temperate belts I couldn't see at all, so I guess they're pale/narrow/missing at the moment.

Also had my first look at Saturn in a while as it scudded between tree-tops. Lovely. 

And I had a wee gander at the Ring Nebula, which was visible and ring-like in AV, but that just showed how bright the sky still was. 

Nice report. I literally grabbed 2 minutes on Jupiter before iit was hidden by trees. I agree that the GRS seems to have more colour and is more separated from the SEB than in recent years

We had some lovely views of Jupiter last night too. Nice orange (burnt orange?) colour and as you say, clear separation to SEB. I could see the southern temperate belt following from below GRS and the light belts in the polar regions N & S. Three lovely festoons too, especially in the TEC160!

Archived