Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging Refractor please help me choose one

Please help me make a choice between a Pentax 75SHDF or a Takahashi FS60CB.

I am planning to use them for widerfield imaging along with a Atik 314L.

As far as i can make out its a close call between the two , with slight differences between the two.

Which one should i get and why :undecided:

Cheers

Steve

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey,

might i point out that the Pentax scopes are NOT apo's or even semi apos they are achro scopes unlike the Tak which is an excellent doublet apo and the perfect travel scope.

with the smaller chip in the Atik than say an DSLR the flat field in the tak should be more than enough to use with the CCD and be fine for DLSR's as well i think though there are a few one this site who use the tak with DSLR so they could tell you better than me.

i don't know prices but i would get the tak if i could either

ally

hey,

might i point out that the Pentax scopes are NOT apo's or even semi apos they are achro scopes unlike the Tak which is an excellent doublet apo and the perfect travel scope.

ally

Sorry to disagree Ally but where did you get that info ???

According to both FLO and Ian King the Pentax IS a Apo

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=Pentax75SDHF

http://www.iankingimaging.com/show_products.php?category=103&offset=10&offset=0

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

they say APO but it's not perhaps it's semi apo looking at some of the picture online but the older Pentax were not APO's ever i will try finding a picture

I'm sure Ian and Steve would not try and mislead anybody , maybe the older Pentax's were not Apo but i am talking about the 75 SHDF which as far as i can make out is.

What exactly makes you so sure ???

Hey just found this on cloudy nights,

an image from the Pentax with a full frame CCD, not sure how it was taken but i don't think he adjusted between shots for focus,

9328_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

check out the stars in the corners?

colour and not point like????

ally

i know that they all get called apo's but they don't put colour correction at the top of the list for telescopes properties (hence not full Apo IMO), they concestrate on the flat field.

some people like that others don't, i don't care to much for them but i understand the appeal.

plus to fix the CA with a mono CCD imaging setup them you can adjust the focus between filters.

link for the cloudynights talk about it

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2660554/Main/2659940

ally

As Ben is a member on SGL i hope he might catch this thread and give me his opinion.

To be fair as i said i plan on using a Atik 314L so the chip isnt that huge in comparison to DLSR's so i do not think it will be a major problem.

Thanks all :undecided:

Nowhere near as sexy though is it.... a Yellow reflector....

Just out of curisoity Steve, have you considered the WO ZS66? I've been using mine and it appears to do the job pretty well. I figure you won't need the huge flat field of the Pentax as the chip on the Atik is tiny in comparison.

Tony..

Archived