NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Drift alignment

Hi all :wave:

I've been pondering the drift alignment thingymajig,

If your scope is properly aligned, then any star should (all being well) stay in the center of the eyepiece when tracking.

I know the procedure for drift alignment says use a star near to the south meridian, and then to the east , but my thinking was.... why cant you point the telescope at any star and just keep adjusting the mount until it stops drifting? :scratch:

Or am I just being stupid ? :undecided:

Hi all :wave:

I've been pondering the drift alignment thingymajig,

If your scope is properly aligned, then any star should (all being well) stay in the center of the eyepiece when tracking.

I know the procedure for drift alignment says use a star near to the south meridian, and then to the east , but my thinking was.... why cant you point the telescope at any star and just keep adjusting the mount until it stops drifting? :scratch:

Or am I just being stupid ? :undecided:

Absolutely you could do that. The preference for a South and East star just makes it easier because[list type=decimal]

[li]Stars at those locations will drift more, making your errors easier to see. (To understand this, think about a star near Polaris - it isn't moving much, so the drift due to an error would be much smaller); and[/li]

[li]Stars at those location will drift primarily due to an error in one of your two adjustments (altitude or azimuth), makng it easier to adjust.[/li]

You wouldn't be drift aligning unless you were doing photography. And, if you're doing photography you have a camera hooked up, so software assistance becomes feasible. Drift alignment software makes the job really easy.

Blinky mentioned WCS, which is good. PEMPRO also contains a drift alignment feature, and I like it a lot. Polealignmax is another good one.

- Richard

Archived