cmos sensors and calibration frames

Hi all just a quick question i know with a mono camera the asi1600mm cooled i have to take darks bias and flats for luminance channels but do i have to repeat all 3 for red green blue?? thanks in advance. john

You should be able to create a darks library saving you time and clear skies. Not sure on bias for that camera. Flats, I would say yes always, as dirt and dust on the optics will move and change as you setup and strip each session. TBH, it doesn't take long to knock off flats, does it?

With the ASI1600 most of us prefer flat darks over bias as bias frames tend to be inconsistent.

If you use the same gain, offset, temperature and exposure time you can use the same darks.

Similarly, flat darks depend on you having the same exposure time for each set of flats. I'm a bit fussy so I take my flats to reach a specific ADU count so each set has a slightly different exposure time. But I run it as a sequence so when done I put on the cover and rerun the same sequence for flat darks. They are short so its quick.

I think the answer is in the first reply.

Create a dark frame by running a set of dark frame exposures at specific settings for gain, temperature and exposure time (You can do this in daylight).  Each set can be used to create a master dark for those camera settings.

Provided that your filtered frames are at the same temperature, gain and exposure as one of the master dark frames in your “dark frame library” then you can simply calibrate all of your light frames with the corresponding master dark.

38 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

The answer is No - as no lightis passing through them, they make me difference,  as long as all the other settings are the same. 

of course i feel stupid now thanks

12 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Don't feel stupid - the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. AP is complicated enough and trying to visualise everything that is coming into play at once is a nightmare when starting out.

THAT is a understatement lol....thanks again..

Archived