How could I improve my planetary imaging?

Okay, first of all I want to say that, yes, my telescope is not at all recommended for planetary imaging but I just want to know if, at all possible, how to improve my imaging.

I have a Celestron 130SLT and use a ZWO ASI120MC to capture the planets but they seem a bit naff in my opinion. I find Jupiter to be a lot better than the others but I was hoping to try to see the cassini division on saturnSat_020640_lapl4_ap16_Drizzle15.jpg.b5d9b04aed9ae5fdfd5b913cb75c916d.jpgjupiter_234656_lapl4_ap36.jpg.f7075786b4a1e4c60625c4116d5db382.jpgMars_025643_lapl4_ap4_Drizzle15_conv.jpg.cc9aa49e30a04639f60bb08ee0cd28e2.jpg

I think you're doing pretty well. The planets are rather low currently so it is more challenging than usual. Jupiter is the highest of the three planets which accounts for the better image. There is always the chance of a night with better seeing, this will make a difference, you could always try a Barlow to get a larger image scale on a good night.

15 hours ago, orion25 said:

I agree with Peter. You're doing well with the gear you have, and the seeing conditions can make all the difference. What image processing program do you use?

I use Autostakkart 3 for stacking images for the best 25%, then use Registax for the wavelets and finally photoshop/lightroom for some slight adjustments

I would try the 3x Barlow, preferably a three-element design to cut down on the CA, and I would try being more aggressive with the wavelets in Registax, especially with Saturn and Mars images. Experiment!

Best wishes!

Reggie

Archived