Rosette-Old Data New Process

Since the clouds are here I am reprocessing old data, and found this from a few months ago. 

C8

QHY10 

Optolong 12nm HA, OIII

10 hours total.

The color combination in Pixinsight was: H, (H×OIII)×1.5, OIII, as RGB and Hydrogen as luminescence.

1338198367_RosetteNEW.thumb.jpg.68d308dc871df54eb4a7c97590ebe944.jpg

Comments and advice welcome.

Nice.

Do you combine the masters in linear or stretched mode?

With so many stars in the fov, I would be tempted to apply a very gentle dose of star reduction (Morphological Transformation).

Thanks!

18 hours ago, wimvb said:

Nice.

Do you combine the masters in linear or stretched mode?

With so many stars in the fov, I would be tempted to apply a very gentle dose of star reduction (Morphological Transformation).

Unfortunately I had to combine them stretched because I forgot to save the unstretched versions.

I tried Morphological Transformation, but it always makes the stars look strange...

Being bored, I downloaded the jpeg and had a go at it in PixInsight. Decreased the smaller stars a little and boosted contrast a (mainly darkening the background a bit). This also increases the noise. Normally I would do a little noise reduction, but since this is only from the jpeg, I didn't bother.
hunterharling_rose_pop_wstars.thumb.jpg.9a4126a4238bcb030ed326ebb8847c6e.jpg

I didn't completely remove the stars. Afterall, this target is in the Milky Way. I just wanted to dim those small pesky stars and leave the brighter ones.

I created two star masks. First one with larger structures that covered stars completely. Then one which only covered the core of stars. I subtracted the small star structure from the large star structure, leaving me with doughnut shaped stars. I softened (blurred) this mask a little and applied it to the image. Then I applied MorphologyTransformation with Morphological selection, to decrease and dim down the stars.

After stretching the image a bit, and lowering the value of the background, I applied the small structure mask and slightly brightened the cores of the larger stars with MultiscaleLinearTransformation on layers 2 and 3.

6 hours ago, wimvb said:

Being bored, I downloaded the jpeg and had a go at it in PixInsight. Decreased the smaller stars a little and boosted contrast a (mainly darkening the background a bit). This also increases the noise. Normally I would do a little noise reduction, but since this is only from the jpeg, I didn't bother.
hunterharling_rose_pop_wstars.thumb.jpg.9a4126a4238bcb030ed326ebb8847c6e.jpg

I didn't completely remove the stars. Afterall, this target is in the Milky Way. I just wanted to dim those small pesky stars and leave the brighter ones.

I created two star masks. First one with larger structures that covered stars completely. Then one which only covered the core of stars. I subtracted the small star structure from the large star structure, leaving me with doughnut shaped stars. I softened (blurred) this mask a little and applied it to the image. Then I applied MorphologyTransformation with Morphological selection, to decrease and dim down the stars.

After stretching the image a bit, and lowering the value of the background, I applied the small structure mask and slightly brightened the cores of the larger stars with MultiscaleLinearTransformation on layers 2 and 3.

This looks really good, I'll have to try it out on some of my other images.

Archived