Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Double-Rigging 130s on EQ5?

Hi,

Ok so I can probably claim to being silliest/stupidest person on this forum, BUT: Would it be possible to put a classic 130M OTA (f7.9) on the back of my 130PDS' tube rings, (or vice versa) as a dual imaging rig/guidescope? (My EQ5 is not the Go-To version.) My current setup using a 50mm finder/guider weighs around 7kg, and replacing the 50mm finder with the 130M OTA (2.5 kg) will result in a roughly 2.25kg weight increase. This will bring the total all up weight to around 9.25kg. Currently, my setup needs one of the 4kg weights at about 85% down the counterweight pole, in illustrations of the EQ5 I've seen, both weights are at this position. So, in theory they will easily make up the extra mass.

The leverage will increase with the second scope, (I don't have an actual dual-rig bar) but the scopes should be very close together, with a single bar between them.

Would this ever actually work? Or will it destroy or make the mount explode, etc.? :D 

John

I have two 130's (the P and PDS) and a side by side bracket. I have previously mounted both scopes on my HEQ5 along with my ST80/touptec guidecam, ASI178M & EFW. I used both counterweights and could NOT get it to balance. Needed more counterweights (or a longer pole) I'm going to hazard a guess and say you may suffer the same issue. 

Let me know how it goes as I'm keen to use both scopes. 

Pete.

Edit: I also tried with a smaller TS Optics scope. That was too heavy also.

IMG_20180430_2241439.thumb.jpg.a618da822f28b38125d5934e4b730487.jpgIMG_20180430_2242032.thumb.jpg.e3dbbbfcc16cc4971024df9e8348dffb.jpg

Archived