PHD2 Vs Metaguide

Hi!

I'just wondered if someone has used Metguide insted PHD, and could tell which it's better o has positive results. I'm aware that each one has differents algorithms to determine de star centorid. But if some of you tested both, Which one has better results?

Thanks!!

Used Metaguide and found it excellent, it does what it says on the label, I only changed to PHD2 because Metaguide does not support the Lodestar X2.

PHD2 give you more feedback and theoretically better stars, but to be truthful Metaguide just worked, would certainly use again.

I have always found Metaguide very good and I a big fan of it. With less configuration it seemed to produce tighter stars with less configuration than PHD2. However with careful configuration I found PHD2 could do as well if not better, it just took a little more understanding and work.

I have the QHY5L-II camera and Metaguide worked perfectly with it, where as with PHD it was a lot harder to get stable and I would loose connection to the camera constantly. I have now resolved this issue, but will happily switch between wither guiding system and get equally good results.  

I would say that Metaguide is great for a beginner with a video (cmos) type guide camera like the QHY to get started with. Whereas PHD2 needs more understanding and work to get the best out of, but it does offer a lot more facilities in the long run. The down side to Metaguide is that I don't find the interface as clear and it can take some working out and the calibration system can seem to take ages and you wonder what it actually going on where as PHD is clearer in what its doing in that respect.

Archived