SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Messier 100

drjolo

Messier 100 is classic spiral galaxy in Virgo Cluster. It is one of its brightest and most prominent members, but it is not often imaged. It was one of the Lord Rosse's 14 "spiral or curvilinear nebulae" that he recognized prior to 1850. M100 spiral arms are full of young, massive blue stars. There are also two small elliptical satellite galaxies, and one of them is connected to M100 with stream of stars.

I made this image at my suburban backyard roll-off shed with Meade ACF 10" telescope and QHY163M camera on EQ6 mount. It is 3 hours of total LRGB exposures in 2 minute subs. Transparency was good, seeing moderate.

2018-04-07-M100-2.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

Thanks! Yes, these NGC4323 and 4328 are supposed to be M100 satellite galaxies.

2 hours ago, alan potts said:

Very nice shot, so difficult at that focal length but a fine result.

Forgot to write - I am using AP CCDT67 telecompressor, and effective FL is 1800mm. But still it is 0.43"/px :) 

1 hour ago, drjolo said:

Thanks! Yes, these NGC4323 and 4328 are supposed to be M100 satellite galaxies.

Forgot to write - I am using AP CCDT67 telecompressor, and effective FL is 1800mm. But still it is 0.43"/px :) 

Still long though and a brilliant image, I have a 12 inch LX and a standard Meade compressor but I feel the tube is a bit heavy for my AZ EQ 6, even though I have bought the ADM mounting rail.

Archived