Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Virgo Area 5th May

Eastman

Hello All,

Last night I had yet again a little time, but real nice temperture for a short session.

First up M87, nice bright core with a small region of light area arround it. This was a Lucky shot, setting the scope op somewhere between the line Vinddemaitrix and Denebola. I guess it's Always a hit in that region. 120X

Next its neighbor NGC 4478 (new), less bright and much smaller, hardly any detail there. 80X

NGC 4753 (new), I was looking for the Superwind galaxy but I made a big sweep ending up with NGC 4753 in the eyepiece (bonus). Nice bright core. 80X

NGC 4666 (new), the Superwind Galaxy. Exciting name but not much to see. 80X

NGC 4808 (new), really hard to find. Could not find it with the 25mm. The starhop let me to the right place, with the 15mm I saw a really faint fuzzy in the eyepiece. 80X

Leaving Virgo 

Time for a showpiece, M3. Great globular cluster. I'm a real globular cluster fan. with a 120X magnification the core just start to show some individual star but stays nice bright. Really nice view that way. My new 10" dob only has a finderscope and I am used to work with a telrad. It takes me a little practice to get use to it. Great advantage is that you can spot M3 with the finderscope. But for sure a telrad is going to fitted on my new dob.

Last for the night M53, 120X

That was it, time to break down. I like to go on for a couple of hours, but early in the morning the mountainbike awaits. I really enjoyed this short session and I saw 4 new galaxies.

The 10" did a great job and showed some hard to find galaxies from my garden.

thanks for reading.

Great session for the new 10”! I felt absolutely lost without my Telrad the first time I used my dob. I’m fact, I ended up sellotaping the Telrad to the dob so I could get going lol. I’m finding the 9x50 more and more useful now I’m getting used to it but it’s certainly not a replacement for the Telrad. In my opinion at least!

Archived