Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon DMK21 12" Mosaic

tooth_dr

Hi all

This is a quick mosaic of the moon with my DMK21 mono through the 12" reflector, at native FL of 1500mm.  I don't think the seeing was great, never the less it worked out and I didn't miss any pieces!

1000 frames per panel, best 10% stacked, joined in MS ICE, edited in PS.

Thanks for looking.

Moon_220920_g4_ap63_stitch_4.jpg

Nice image.

There is a bit of histogram clipping, showing as posterization in dark regions, there is also some strange artifact in darkness, probably mosaic tile with background that is not properly matched.

You might have not noticed that on your computer screen if it is not calibrated fully / has lower dynamic range.

I've made inverted image to emphasize it so it is more easily seen.

image.png.a0b070fff7b26c8549e29a180508374c.png

It shows on my monitor even with daylight (often daylight masks imperfections in dark regions, that are easily spotted in low light conditions).

3 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Nice image.

There is a bit of histogram clipping, showing as posterization in dark regions, there is also some strange artifact in darkness, probably mosaic tile with background that is not properly matched.

You might have not noticed that on your computer screen if it is not calibrated fully / has lower dynamic range.

I've made inverted image to emphasize it so it is more easily seen.

image.png.a0b070fff7b26c8549e29a180508374c.png

It shows on my monitor even with daylight (often daylight masks imperfections in dark regions, that are easily spotted in low light conditions).

Thanks, yes I did notice that, I attempted to fill the background to disguise the different coloured mosaic pieces, resulting in a little loss of that side of the moon that you have pointed out.

Well done! I attempted the same with my dob over the weekend, but required my 2x barlow to get enough back focus for my DSLR. It was a 99% moon and my focus wasn't spot on so my results were nowhere near as good. There was extremely little detail in the craters. After seeing this, I might have to have another go at it. When I have the time and the clouds cooperate that is. Again, nice work!

Archived