SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Field Note Taking Equipment

Paz

I keep a note of my observing sessions and used to do this by writing down my notes after I had come in, dried anything out that needed drying out, and packed everything away. This often meant I would forget or miss key points in my notes from being tired. I then started using a small notebook but fiddling about with a note book in the dark was a distraction, and over this last winter writing notes made my hands freeze up much quicker than they otherwise would.

I then had an idea to try a voice recorder to take notes in the field in real time and then listen to them and pick out the bits to write down whenever was convenient. I ended up getting one and it has been perfect.

The one I got has big shaped record/pause buttons so I can use it with gloves on, it is small and light, it has a small red light that is solid when recording and flashes when paused so I can tell what it is doing without needing a torch and wrecking my night vision, it works fine in the cold, and it is really simple to play back. It is one of the cheapest voice recorders I found - the more expensive recorders had more complexity than I needed.

It is now easy to make notes and I rate this as one of my best astro-buys.

20180415_004445_HDR.thumb.jpg.e3b9444ffcc53210accdfc87e2b7e638.jpg

That's actually really smart. I've only taken a notebook with me a few times. On one occasion the humidity got so high and everything dewed up that the pages actually got damp as well. There went that notebook.

Totally agree with the use of voice recordings. So easy and does not require a 'red light'. It can also be great if you want to get exact timings of things. Record a time using your favourite method and then just leave it running without pausing it. You can then just use a 'mark' when things happen (which you can describe on the recorder) and get timings to the second. Great for occultations. I first used this when I was doing an experiment seeing how difficult it was for workers before modern equipment who noted objects "following star x by y amount of time". Even with a voice recorder it was a nightmare, and gave me great respect for those who did it having to record everything by hand. We have it so easy nowadays.

I have started doing the same.  I typically only log my international observing trips as I like to write them up on my site, but while I used to keep the log at the eyepiece and scribble down some notes there and then, on my last trip away I recorded instead and transcribed the next day to my log book.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad this is working out for you, Paz. I've gone back and forth on what works well for me. Occasionally I use a voice recorder a bit like yours, but I found that I'd accumulate a lot of audio and never quite get round to writing it all up, so it was wasted. But I could probably be a bit more concise when I'm talking! Overall I find scribbled notes with a few abbreviations and, often but not always, an eyepiece sketch works well for me.  But even then I can accumulate piles of rough notes that need converting into something that makes sense.

but you've made me contemplate using my voice recorder again!

Archived