NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky-Watcher AZ-GTi WiFi Mount and how to aline for the milky way

43 minutes ago, MARK RAWLINGS said:

help now in to this have borrowed a Sky-Watcher AZ-GTi WiFi Mount and not shore how to alien it for the milky way and have it track it .

The Milky Way is quite a large object, spanning the sky when it runs overhead.If you are just taking widefield shots then general sidereal tracking should be fine. Point the scope or camera where you want it and away you go. Alignment is needed if you want accurate gotos 

1 minute ago, MARK RAWLINGS said:

yes have downloaded it but cannot fide the milky way on there

I think you are missing the point here. Which object in the Milky Way do you want to image?

Are you using a scope or just a camera/lens?

3 hours ago, MARK RAWLINGS said:

yes have downloaded it but cannot fide the milky way on there

The Milky Way is not a specific object you can find, it is the galaxy that our solar system and  planet earth resides,  it consists of many deep sky objects which you can individually view,  the Milky Way is just a very very small part of the galaxy, just a glimpse into one of the spiral arms of it.

the whole area you are looking at in your app is probably the Milky Way, choose an object within it to view, I really don’t know the best way to explain this... :)

Maybe this might help. This shows the Milky Way as both realistic and a solid filled area. For reference, this is the whole sky pretty much, so you can see that when it is overhead it crosses the whole sky, it is enormous. To image it with a camera lens you don’t need to align, just to have tracking enabled although an alignment may make track more accurate. Then just point the scope at the area you want to image.

Please let us know if you are using a scope or just short focal length lenses.

DB34A012-F792-4F43-A35F-002183E2850F.png

A30D1A54-A019-4E98-BA7E-07C9C884F17A.png

i think Antares is a good star to be a reference for the milky way.

try to use the smallest focal length lens you have, an 18-55mm lens at 18mm should get you a good capture, take a test picture of about 30s to see if it's right and then make the needed adjustments (camera or mount orientation)  to get it the most of it in frame.

3 hours ago, Atreta said:

i think Antares is a good star to be a reference for the milky way.

try to use the smallest focal length lens you have, an 18-55mm lens at 18mm should get you a good capture, take a test picture of about 30s to see if it's right and then make the needed adjustments (camera or mount orientation)  to get it the most of it in frame.

That lovely part of the sky is always very low from the U.K., so I envy you :) 

Archived