SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Question about a Light Panel for Flats

Evening everybody,    hope you are all not too tired after 3 consecutive clear nights !!

Here's a question for an experienced imager out there. 

A large light panel has recently come available that will cover my 300mm Newtonian Project scope (just !!), with about 5 mm to spare.

The panel, alas, has a small blemish/mark on the outer edge. (see photo).   I think it is internal, but I have not physically held the panel and I am not 100% certain.

image.thumb.png.551f46dabe1909fdefa196990f4c8a2c.png

Will this affect the flats I take with it and introduce a spot onto the calibrated final image..... OR... will the optical proximity of the panel to the end of the OTA totally override any conttribution it might make ?

and the final big question is.......  worth the risk ???

Many thanks for any wisdom and advice.

Cheers,

Sean.

8 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

It will be so far out of focus when you do your flats that I highly doubt it will be visible.

I think so too, but to be 'belt and braces' about this just rotate the panel during your flats shoot and the effect will vanish for sure. You don't have to synchronise rotation of the panel with the capture sequence, just turn the panel a bit repeatedly during the shoot.

Olly

4 minutes ago, Craney said:

Yes.... that was my feeling @kirkster501, and if it did contribute anything it would be at the very edge of the frame as well.  I tend to crop those bits anyway due to stacking artefacts.

All parts of the objective contribute to all parts of the image. I'm not sure about the effects of this blob bearing this in mind...

Olly

Thanks Olly,  yes absolutely right.  I had forgot about the 'summative' quality of an objective in an optical system.  

That's another  'go for purchase' confirmation.  Much appreciated.

sean.

Archived