Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEQ6 and sbig and st4

Hi All.

An fellow imager from my local club came around last night to set up his gear as he has not used it for a few years. Kit as follows:

NEQ6 using handset

Sbig camera and guide cam. Think it was the 8300.

As he now owns a new laptop he had to reinstall some of the software including PHD2.

He was having lots of issues connection everything up and I am just looking for a bit of advice on the best way to set it up. I know I am being a bit vague so do apologize for this. 

He did say he is not using ascom. I am trying to get him to use eqdir cable as I am sure this would sort out a lot of the issues.

cheers

Mark.

I think he'd be best served by installing Ascom, eqmod and whatever planetarium prog he prefers, plus the phd2, of course. Using an eqdir-type cable is probably the best way to go. I can't think of any good reason to use st4 guiding with an Neq6. You can do everything under laptop control so no handset required. It's always a good idea to practice setting up during the day - everything's that much clearer!

Louise

Thanks Louise 

I did mention this to him as I use the eqdir cable with no issues. I think the last time he used his kit was a good few years ago so I need to try and get him on some newer software.

By the time I realized he was having issue it was starting to get dark and the cloud rolled in anyway. It was a bit of a last minute invite so I guess he did not really have the time to have a dry run with it all.

cheers

Mark.

Archived