Old Meade 1206 Electric Focuser

Gary Fritz

I have a Meade 8" LX90. I recently purchased an old Meade 1206 electric focuser. My knob is just a little bit to small for the electic focuser to fit on. I need to increase the diameter of my know by a few millimeters or decrease the inside diameter of the gear ring that fits over it.  I was thinking of something like a spring collar 

My knob has a diameter of .0865", the focuser is designed for the 0.975" diameter knob.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Has anyone else run into this problem before?

Have you tried putting some gaffer tape around the knob to bring it up to the same diameter at all? If your only talking a small amount this might be enough to do it as long as the retaining screw for the focuser on the shaft is able to be secure enough. 

Perhaps wrap something like insulating tape?

Interestingly I used to have an LX90 and also got a 1206 focuser for it but I had the problem in reverse in that the focus knob was slightly thicker than the collar on the motor.  A few minutes with some Emery paper on the collar sorted it out.

Archived