Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

skymax 127 autotrak or skywatcher dob 200p

I'm guessing it depends on what you want it for?

For general deep sky observing then the dob is your best bet as it gathers more light, but if your interested in planets/clusters etc then the skymax is probably the way to go. Especially with the autotrak mount.

Gavin

I have both, and they are both good performers. I have found nothing to choose between them, even when used side-by side, in terms of planetary viewing. The Dob is better for DSOs, but not by all that much (might notice a bigger difference in a less light polluted area though). The skymax is more portable (I'm a bit weedy but I have to say I find it hard work to lug the Dob around by myself) though its finder is less good. The supatrak mount is okay - I haven't found tracking to be all that great and I usually seem to find objects more quickly with the Dob. Overall the two telescopes offer excellent value for money, I doubt you'd be disappointed with either.

....does anyone know if Steve at FLO price matches?

Why not phone and ask him ? - much the best way to get a good deal IMHO

:)

I've owned both scopes and they are both good - personally I'd go for the simplicity and performance potential of the dob - it's an F/6 and pretty darn good at planets as well as DSO's. You can't really go wrong with either scope really though.

John

Archived