Sigma 150-600mm suitable for AP?

smr

Hi all,

Just wondering, as I have this lens, would it be good for Astrophotography? The mount I currently have is a Skywatcher Star Adventurer but I'm thinking about upgrading to the HEQ5 Pro for the weight and also for Go-to, and as I have this lens I was wondering if it'd be suitable for DSO imaging. If anyone has one or can offer any advice it'd be greatly appreciated.

Hi smr,

Thanks for posting. There are reviews for the lens here-https://www.lenstip.com/417.2-Lens_review-Sigma_S_150-600_mm_f_5-6.3_DG_OS_HSM_Pictures_and_parameters.html

or here-https://www.lenstip.com/index.html?test=obiektywu&test_ob=434 depending on which one you have. Both read as decent lenses and the first one is by far the heaviest.

Mounted on the Star Adventurer I would expect at the longer FL's you would need to guide and I'd be most interested in your experiences with the longer lens settings and the exposure times you do achieve.

Since you have the lens I'd say experiment with it anyway and enjoy it.

Best wishes,
Steve

Thanks Steve, 

I guess when I get into autoguiding I can try it out, I just wondered really how it stacked up against a similar focal length telescope in terms of well, image quality. 

4 hours ago, smr said:

I just wondered really how it stacked up against a similar focal length telescope in terms of well, image quality. 

I haven't the lenses to comment on or compare with a telescope but the review site details the elements in the lenses making up each product so you should expect good correction. No need for a field flattener or coma corrector either. As tooth_dr says as you have the camera just try it out for free and see how impressed you are with it. There are cheap and very expensive telescopes out there with performance to match.

Good luck!

Steve

Archived