Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sh2-174

Jedi2014

For a few weeks there is a special picture on my hard disk and now I want to show it after finall processing.
Sh2-174 or PK 120+18.1 is a mysterious object. The designations from a catalogue for emission nebulae (Sh2) and a catalogue for planetary nebulae (PK) already indicate that the classification of this object is not entirely clear.

From 14. to 20.02. Marcel Drechsler and I exposed this picture together for over 40 hours. The picture is a mixture of bicolor data with LRGB so an HaOIIILRGB, if you like. The RGB component is essentially limited to the stars and the luminance allows this dust structure to emerge above the nebula, which was nearly invisible in narrowband.

On my homepage I have posted a lot of further information about the object, among other things also explanations to the beautiful info graphic of Marcel, about the events that probably take place there.

medium_sh2-174-newton-small.jpg

http://www.spaceimages.de/en/astrophotos/nebula/sh2-174
or https://www.astrobin.com/334350

Oh, btw... Homepage .... I have completely reworked and "embellished" it again. Criticism to the picture as well as to the homepage is naturally most welcome.

Jens

Excellent picture of an intriguing object that I haven't seen before! The wide field image on your site is superb as well.

Not sure I've had 40 hours of clear skies this year so far, let alone in one week!

Thank you Graeme, don't forget this was a cooperation between me and Marcel. We both spent around 20 hrs. each during 5 nights in february. These were the first clear nights since end of october I had here.

Archived