Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Digital eyepieces & real time eyepiece image electronic relay

Ebay has an assortment of USB and wireless digital eyepieces. No focal lengths. Best seems 8MP for a microscope.

Are there any good makes anywhere? I presume more MP = better generally, though an attachment to an optical ep would be nicer.

So are there any digital eps or cameras that attach to optical ones, that provide views which are equal or better to perfect human vision, for light pick-up, detail etc. 

This is not an imaging or video question, but concerning real-time viewing, with electronic aid.

I haven't met the astro camera yet that doesn't surpass human vision in every possible way!

Do you especially want to attach to an eyepiece?

Cameras work better at native focal lengths, but if you want more mag, then a decent barlow is the way to go.

There are several little USB CMOS cameras that are 1.25" and fit right in like an eyepiece, and that in pretty much real time will open up the night sky to you as never before, even in colour if you desire. I've had good results with cameras using a Sony IMX290 sensor.

Even short exposure times of just a second will reveal detail in galaxies and nebulae that you will never see with your eyes!! The latest ones can use a live stacking process on your laptop to gradually improve the view as well.

Look for cameras that offer EAA, electronically assisted astronomy!

I've used a ZWO ASI224 for this which has been pretty good. As Tim says- you'll see more on a laptop screen than you'll manage with the naked eye; it's also great for sharing with other people- you can all stand and look at an image on screen and discuss/enjoy it, plus the live stacking that Tim describes is great as the image slowly enhances.

But...

For me it lacks the intimacy of seeing through the eyepiece- the knowledge that what you're looking at is the actual photons that have travelled so far. Even though you see less, what you're seeing at the eyepiece is real and unenhanced and that seems to add a little magic. Diff'rent strokes and all that.

Archived