Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Optolong Clip Filter

andyk74

I have just sent my Nikon D5200 camera for modifying and am now on the look out for an Ha filter around the 7nm wavelength. I have found an Optolong clip in filter for Nikon D5000 and D5100. Was wondering:

1) Does anyone know if this filter will fit my D5200?

2) What are the Optolong 7nm Ha filters like?

3) Would a clip in filter be better than a 2" mounted filter which would require screwing in to my coma corrector or field flattener for my refractor?

Don't know about the Ha one, but I have one of the Optolong Light Pollution clip ion filters for my D7100 and it works OK.

I do get a few issues at times when if it is pushed back to far in the body it can cause the mirror to either not fully raise and expose the sensor or seize at the top of its travel and then not drop at the end of the exposure.

As for 3 I personally would go for a 2" mounted filter to fit onto the coma corrector.  Two reasons for me would be it can then be used later on if you go down the route of a filter wheel (astro-imaging is a slippery slope) and it also allows that you can swap it out with minimal fuss to put in another narrowband filter, or remove for doing luminance.  There is also the bit of the filter adding into the optical path and increasing the back-focus numbers too.  If you have it before the CC then it will all 'just work'

Ok, thanks for the info. I emailed Optolong to see if the D5000/D5100 clip filter would fit my D5200 and they said it wouldn't. A well known UK astro shop reckoned it would....I might just go for the 2" one then rather than risk it, and, as you say I can use it in a filter wheel at a later date if needed.

I'm in the same position. Deciding between clip in and 2". I'm leaning more towards the Explore Scientific 2" CLS Nebula Filter which will screw into my field flattener but would also be used on my 290 mono when I get into mono imaging.

Clip in is good but is a wee bit limiting. Is a right royal pita to swap out....more so if doing wide field. 

This hobby is challenging enough so I say go for the option that is the easiest for you and also as this hobby is silly expensive gives best value for money in re-useability. 

A clip filter can be used with some lenses (speaking for Canon here assume Nikon is similar?). But also a 2” filter would require adapter rings to step or down the diameter to match your lenses but these rings are cheap.

Will you need a 2” filter if you go down CCD route later on? A 2” filter carousel is large and expensive and a full set of 2” filters aren’t cheap.

To answer 1) 

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4023076

C91F35EB-7566-4486-A657-C033DFA55461.jpeg

259F7420-1636-4893-BB9C-CA4956358D5F.jpeg

Archived