Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

RunCam Night Eagle camera anyone?

lukebl

Has anyone had any experience with one of these RunCam Night Eagle video cameras for occultation measurements?

I'm very keen to get into asteroid occultation observation, but it seems a somewhat arcane world where details of the equipment and procedures required are a bit mysterious to the uninitiated.  The website of the International Occultation Timing Association (IOTA) suggests the RunCam as an inexpensive but sensitive camera for occultation measurements. The workhorse for this type of work seems to be the Watec 901, but is around £500 compared to £100 for the RunCam. £100 seems a very small price to pay for something so useful.

There doesn't seem to be much discussion about them on this side of the pond. Any thoughts on their usefulness compared to, say, the Watec?

IOTA have worked through a couple of iterations of the Night Eagle over the last year and a bit - most notably custom firmware from the manufacturers (hence the "Astro" version). I understand they should be taking receipt next month of Night Eagle 2 Pro Astro. You'd have to get one from them to get the Astro firmware as I don't think Runcam are selling it separately (includes some degree of on-camera frame integration among other refinements perhaps). Best bet for more information if the IOTA yahoo group - all the test results etc on there.

I've been waiting until they settle down with testing different variations etc, but intending to buy at some point.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/283150-runcam-owl-plus-entry-level-camera-for-occultation-astronomy/

The Night Eagle 2 Pro Astro Edition is even more sensitive than the previous Night Eagle Astro Edition.  Recent testing shows the new camera is equal in sensitivity to the WAT910HX at NS-1 (where NS stands for Night Shutter and NS1 is equivalent to 2x integration in the WAT910HX/RC).  The camera has two more levels of integration NS2 and NS3 (4x and 8x integration).

Thanks, furrysocks2. I saw your earlier posts, but note that there was very little response. Looks like the Astro Edition could be a handy, and inexpensive, piece of kit if it were easily available.

56 minutes ago, lukebl said:

Thanks, furrysocks2. I saw your earlier posts, but note that there was very little response. Looks like the Astro Edition could be a handy, and inexpensive, piece of kit if it were easily available.

They do end up rather expensive to get to the UK from IOTA - not the unit cost but intl shipping and import etc. If not protected, in theory a stock model might be moddable with the upgraded firmware. but certainly against the spirit - IOTA have put a lot of effort into testing, assessment and supplier relations.

It seems that the Night Eagle cam was developed for nocturnal Drone flying.

Who on earth, apart from the military, would need or want such a thing? But I guess it's America. Anything goes!

1 minute ago, lukebl said:

It seems that the Night Eagle cam was developed for nocturnal Drone flying.

Who on earth, apart from the military, would need or want such a thing? But I guess it's America. Anything goes!

I think FPV drone flying is quite popular - and having to pack up and go home just because it's getting a bit dark must be a pain. Hence there's a market. Certainly for low-light, and if it can be pushed into darkness that says a lot for the camera, even if it's a bit antisocial.

Nothing to do with the Runcam, but check this video out for something a bit special... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imke0mc8PyU - worth watching in 1080p60 if you can.

3 minutes ago, furrysocks2 said:

I think FPV drone flying is quite popular - and having to pack up and go home just because it's getting a bit dark must be a pain.....

Not questioning FPV flying, although it seems a very antisocial and intrusive pastime. Just the weirdness of wanting to do it at night!

• 1 month later...

Archived