Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

RunCam Owl Plus - entry-level camera for occultation astronomy?

furrysocks2

I've just happened across the RunCam Owl Plus online, a small 700 TVL camera aimed at the model aircraft and drone market. It has a colour 1/2" CMOS sensor and good for low illumination (they quote 0.0001Lux/1.2F, whatever that means). It has an on-screen display (OSD) for controlling settings. I believe it can be ordered IR blocked, or not. It retails at just over £35 with free shipping.

I note they also have an 800 TVL mono 1/1.8" version quoting 0.00001Lux/1.2F (Night Eagle, £63), and various (presumably less sensitive) models, for example 1/3" Sony Super HAD II, or 1/3" Aptina AR0330 for HD.

What I found interesting, was one of the reviews of the Owl Plus (http://shop.runcam.com/runcam-owl-plus/)

I purchased this camera to test it for use as a sensitive occultation astronomy video camera system. 

How did it work? The RunCam OWL Plus is nearly as sensitive as the WAT910HX -- a standard for high sensitivity and linear response. The response is not linear, but it is close enough to a standard 0.45 gamma response that the camera can be used for accurate photometric measurements.

I intend to recommend this camera to the astronomical community as a very good low-cost entry-level camera for occultation astronomy.

Does anyone have experience with these, or is this of interest to anyone?

It's analog, which is a bit of a faff, especially for guiding.... this one is cheaper and better and Sony but still analog...

Or this one is more but USB/digital and a much better sensor...

Don't be disuaded by the naysayers saying it can't be done, what's actually in their thousand+ pound cameras are £20 CCDs and AFEs.

Thanks, John.

Nice to see your efforts in guiding (and imaging) with the ICX673. There do appear to be a number of "IP camera" boards with higher resolution, digital output, embedded processors, etc.

Regarding the RunCams, I've been sent the following details:

Owl Plus
sensor: MCCD 0601 dsp:2040 

Night Eagle
sensor: Temporarily can not be announced, dsp: 8523

Regarding the ICX673 and a comparison with the RunCams:

11 hours ago, John78 said:

this one is cheaper and better and Sony but still analog...

Please could you qualify "better" here? Size/resolution/sensitivity/exposure?

Matt.

Sensitivity primarily, the ICX673 is incredibly sensitive.

The issue with an analog cameras in general is the frame grabbers capture resolution is not pixel to pixel with the native sensor resolution - which is a pain for imaging and almost a show stopper for guiding unfortunately.

My colleague found the Aptina AR0130 colour sensor is available in a boardcam for ~£35 on amazon which is fully functional and USB so that's £100+ cheaper than buying an ASI120MC 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-cameras/zwo-asi120mc-usb-2-colour-camera.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELP-illumination-Industrial-Equipment-megapixel/dp/B01HYVF4DK/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1481712717&sr=8-10&keywords=ar0130

Is it the effect of the frame grabber itself, or the composite signal from the board that differs? The AR0130 looks good. Assume you've retired the ICX673 as a guide cam, then?

I understand the workhorse for occultation astronomy has been the Supercircuits PC164CEX (which google suggests may also have been sold as the KPC-350BH). I believe it is no longer produced.

• 1 month later...

IOTA tested the Night Eagle. The full report is posted on their yahoo group.

The four cameras used in this comparison are the:  RunCam Night Eagle; WAT910HX; PC164C-EX2; and RunCam Owl Plus 

The WAT910HX is considered the higher-cost reference camera.  The PC164C-EX2 camera was the low-cost production camera used for multiple site mobile deployments and as the entry level camera for new occultation observers.  The PC164C-EX2 is no longer manufactured and a replacement camera is sought for future purchase by new observers.  The RunCam OWL Plus was previously reviewed but found to have some deficiencies.  The RunCam Night Eagle is the newest most-sensitive camera available at a price below $100.  This report will evaluate the RunCam Night Eagle in comparison to the other three cameras.

The RunCam Night Eagle has been tested in comparison to three other cameras.  It has proved to be an acceptable replacement camera to the PC164C-EX2. At a cost of US$79.99 it is affordable for new occultation astronomy observers as well as for mobile deployment systems.

• 6 months later...

Though currently showing out of stock, I noticed today that RunCam and the IOTA have brought out an astro-tweaked version of the Night Eagle.

http://shop.runcam.com/runcam-night-eagle-astro/

There is a comprehensive review on this page, worth a read if you're interested. There's also the yahoo group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/IOTAoccultations/info.

• 2 months later...

Archived