NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Good experiences with Opticstar

MikeP

I buy most of my equipment from FLO since he provides good prices and excellent service but based on recent experiences I can also heartily recommend Opticstar.

I bought a guide camera package from them at the beginning of August. For reasons that neither Opticstar nor I can fathom, the camera caused problems from the outset. Opticstar spent hours on the phone talking me through things to try and we exchanged numerous emails. Although progress was made, ultimately I had to return the camera.

Opticstar have now confirmed that the camera is working (that was never in doubt) but have accepted that for whatever reason, it just does not work with my computer, so they are issuing me with a full refund.

I feel quite bad about it because the camera would have been ideal and I know other members use it without any difficulties. The least I can do is to provide them with some good publicity for their after sales service and general helpfulness.

Thanks guys.

Mike

That's excellent news Mike under the circumstances, I know the anguish you have gone through trying to get that system working, and well done to you for promoting Opticstar on the grounds of their customer service.

I hope you get something sorted as a replacement sooner rather than later, after talking with you at Kelling, there's so much choice out there. I am still contemplating the Orion Strashooter guidecamera.

Steve..

Thanks Steve.

I've bought a Meade DSI Pro II mono - now there's a pithy title. TJ loaned me his at Kelling - a quick software install, a following wind and a lot of help from TJ and my scope was guiding with PHD about an hour later. After the problems with my laptop and the previous camera, it seemed prudent to go with something that I could be sure would work.

For what it is worth, I bought the camera from Telescope House. Ordered on Monday and arrived on Tuesday. If there are any problems they are only 30 minutes away.

Mike

I can also heartily recommend Optic Star for their customer service. Unless you live in totally dark skies I wouldn't go for the PL-130 really as a guide camera, but, it is FANTASTIC for the moon as it is a 1.3mp camera, add a red filter and you will capture great shots.

Glad you got that sorted Mike, it was a bit of a battle wasn't it!! I've just got back from Kelling and haven't unpacked as yet, still recovering :)

TJ

That's great news mate :), always nice to hear about retailers providing quality service :D. Your imaging awaits!

I am still contemplating the Orion Strashooter guidecamera.

Steve, isn't the Orion the same the QHY5?

Tony..

Archived