Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Olympus OM-D E-M10 for AP?

kerrylewis

I have an Olympus DSLR at the moment and I’m thinking of getting a more up-to-date model. Does anyone use an OM-D for AP or perhaps video/EAA?  The new models are mirrorless, have video capabilities and WiFi connectivity so it would seem that they would be useful for AP. They are also quite small and light. 

I’m  not thinking of really serious stuff but just ‘dabbling’. 

Hi Kerry,

I cant comment on the Olympus, but the missus has a Canon EOS-M10, which is there version. One thing to note on the canon, its a 4/3 sensor and not APS-C, also, there is no bulb mode so you are restricted to 30s exposures.

John

Oh, another thing to bare in mind, I would advise trying one out in an store first, because if it is like the canon, for everyday use, the autofocus is very slow. Also, the lenses are very expensive compared to a DSLR, unless you buy an adaptor. The price to, for not much more than she paid for the EOS-M10, she could have brought a DSLR with wifi.

John

The olympus omd models do have a bulb mode along with live composite and live time....live composite is basically a in camera stacking feature that allows you to take images from a fraction of a second to a minute (I think)and stacks them from the time you open the shutter until you stop it,also the camera  only exposes new light and never overexposes the final image....a very nifty feature....I have a omd em5 mk 2.I haven't used it for astrophotography as yet...just some star trail stuff at the moment....really need to get a star adventurer tracking mount to really see if this mode lends itself well to any kind of astrophotography work.

Archived