Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Time dilation book?

Although I have been mainly into the observing side of astronomy and understanding the basic principles of stars and galaxies, I have recently started delving into the deeper side of things and one physics subject that has really caught my eye is the whole idea of time dilation. I would love to find out more about this. Can anyone suggest a 'dummies guide' type of book for TD? I really do not study physics and would get lost in equations so something that although goes into the idea in some depth but still uses layman's terms would be great!

For a useful introduction you could do worse than one of the Higher Physics text books used in school.  Here's the one we use; I'd go for a second hand copy as it is only the chapter on relativity you are after.  Or save some money and check out the BBC BiteSize web site - it will give you a good grounding. If you go for a book specifically on Special Relativity it will cover a lot more and very quickly go into a lot of detail, so it really depends on what you want to do.  I'd check out the BBC site first (its free) and it may satisfy or it may leave you wanting to know more :) 

Jim

CFE Higher Physics - Student Book

BBC Bite Size - Special Relativity

Archived