Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar 100 description of Flamsteed P

billyharris72

Hi all:

Just a very quick one. Last night I took advantage of a clear window to get some observing in - first in a while after the damp weather. One of the features I was looking at was Flamsteed P and it left me wondering if I was missing something. Flamsteed P is clearly an old crater, with the impact sometime before the formation of the Oceanus Procellarum, which has flooded it leaving only part of the rim still showing.

The description in my Lunar 100 document reads "Proposed young volcanic crater & Surveyor 1 landing site".

Anyone know what's going on here? Does the text refer to something else within Flamsteed P or is this just a mistake?

Billy.

This is my entry for 68/100 Flamstead P

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/96159-the-lunar-100-by-doc/

Equipment was a Meade Lightbridge 16"

Number 68 Flamsteed P

The crater Flamsteed makes the top point of equilateral triangle with the other points denoted by Flamsteed K and Flamsteed D. At first I thought Flamsteed K was the crater I was looking for but it is not, I now know that Flamsteed P is 61 miles in diameter and is a lava filled crater, with only a few outer walls remaining, I could now see it with the 12.5 mm ortho. The craters Flamsteed, Flamsteed K and Flamsteed D are all within the walls that make up Flamsteed P. I counted six breaks in the wall, I really enjoyed observing this one. Also Surveyor 1 landing site landed not far from Flamsteed K. Surveyor 1 was the first lunar lander in the American Surveyor program that explored the Moon. The program was managed by the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, utilizing spacecraft designed and built by Hughes Aircraft. It was launched May 30, 1966 and landed on June 2, 1966. It took a total of 11,237 images that were transmitted to Earth. The successful soft landing in the Ocean of Storms was the first ever by the U.S. on an extraterrestrial body, and came just four months after the landing of the Soviet Luna 9 mission. With the help of VMA I could see the actual area that this fantastic event occured, to say I was humbled was an understatement.

Archived