Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope case

Just the OTA, or the entire setup (tube, mount, tripod)? I built a carry-all for mine, two wooden boxes (padded) that will clamp together and fit on a fold-up hand truck. Great for storage, and you can haul the entire kit out to an observing site in one trip. The EP case and a second telescope tube strap to the top.

A commercial alternative would be to find something like a Plano or Pelican hard case in a suitable size and shape.

packed and ready.JPG

front view.JPG

DSC00088.JPG

30 minutes ago, Luna-tic said:

Just the OTA, or the entire setup (tube, mount, tripod)? I built a carry-all for mine, two wooden boxes (padded) that will clamp together and fit on a fold-up hand truck. Great for storage, and you can haul the entire kit out to an observing site in one trip. The EP case and a second telescope tube strap to the top.

A commercial alternative would be to find something like a Plano or Pelican hard case in a suitable size and shape.

packed and ready.JPG

front view.JPG

DSC00088.JPG

Thanks for sharing 

I think if you find you can store it all together or maybe in two easily separated parts that you will be encouraged to use it more often.  I have a Dobson mounted Newtonian telescope and I am in a situation where I store this in its ready to go state (OK it's collapsed and might be a bit more vertically compact than yours).  I cover mine with a Chimnea cover and it stands behind my porch door.  It just depends on what you want.  The term 'storage' clearly means different things to different people.

The chimea cover is a great idea! I 'need' to leave my scope outside simply because the temperature difference between indoors and out requires a long time for the scope to stabilize.

4 hours ago, Roddy said:

The chimea cover is a great idea! I 'need' to leave my scope outside simply because the temperature difference between indoors and out requires a long time for the scope to stabilize.

When I brought mine back in from the cold  about 10 minutes later I have a cracking noise I presume that was the telescope changing from different temperatures  no cracked mirrors or anything so that’s good 

Archived