NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

finding targets which you can not see with a dslr

I got a red dot finder for the top of my DSLR. Then using something like stellarium you should be able to point it in roughly the right place.

Take a test shot, and adjust if required until you have your target in the frame.

23 minutes ago, Bobby1970 said:

I got a red dot finder for the top of my DSLR. Then using something like stellarium you should be able to point it in roughly the right place.

Take a test shot, and adjust if required until you have your target in the frame.

what kind of red dot sight? like one on a air rifle or scope

Before GOTO I used an ordinary finder and compared the star patterns to what appears in Stellarium

A 9 x 50 finder helps, in fact I with my eyes I enjoy the views through my 9x50 finder as much as through my big scopes, so I have excited hopes for a 300mm 60ED scope I am working on which should be a brilliant wide-field scope.

Aligning on the rosette last night a 30-second test exposure showed the nebulosity, but it was easier to aim using the distinctive cluster near the centre which shows up clearly on a  few seconds exposure. I had stellarium on the laptop with a frame for my setup on the display nest to the scope

Test shot, adjust scope, repeat. Takes less than a minute.

Archived