Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CCD Wireless download, is it possible?

ReZ

On 01/04/2018 at 18:18, wimvb said:

Other alternatives are a stick pc, such as intel compute stick, or a raspberry pi. Both options can be used to remotely control your gear, not just the ccd.

Thank you. Great suggestion.

Do you have any article or websites; which shows how to do the basics?

I don't use a stick pc, but a Raspberry pi. It runs indi (indilib.org) under Linux to connect the hardware. Indi is then controlled by ekos/kstars (similar to stellarium) on windows. There's more information on the indi website. There are also various threads on this forum, notably under the diy/equipment sections. Best to start with a search for "indi" here.

A stick pc would have a similar setup, but under windows, using ascom for the drivers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/01/2018 at 06:30, wimvb said:

I don't use a stick pc, but a Raspberry pi. It runs indi (indilib.org) under Linux to connect the hardware. Indi is then controlled by ekos/kstars (similar to stellarium) on windows. There's more information on the indi website. There are also various threads on this forum, notably under the diy/equipment sections. Best to start with a search for "indi" here.

A stick pc would have a similar setup, but under windows, using ascom for the drivers.

Careful with Raspberry Pi and Atom and Celeron processors. For example, Pi 3 can't handle USB3 and has slow 802.11n WiFi. They are fine for most cameras but might stutter with the latest large sensor megapixel beasts. For my Atik Horizon I chose an Intel NUC i5 and set up 802.11ac WiFi.  Might be overkill, but I wanted room for expansion.

24 minutes ago, noah4x4 said:

Careful with Raspberry Pi and Atom and Celeron processors. For example, Pi 3 can't handle USB3 and has slow 802.11n WiFi. They are fine for most cameras but might stutter with the latest large sensor megapixel beasts. For my Atik Horizon I chose an Intel NUC i5 and set up 802.11ac WiFi.  Might be overkill, but I wanted room for expansion.

That's why I'm currently experimenting with a Rock64 sbc. It's the same size (and price) as a Raspberry Pi, but with USB3. And since I store the images on the sbc, wifi speed is not critical. (Haven't tested wifi speed yet, since it's still hooked up to an older wifi dongle.)

Archived