Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My not-so-new setup

Since getting back into the hobby about 6 months ago, I have been using a SW 102mm mak on an EQ3-2 mount - and have been very happy with the performance of this little package on everything I have thrown at it. But you know how it is, aperture and equipment fever bites and soon grand plans are being made....

Hence in the last couple of weeks my main setup has morphed into the following...

The old: EQ6 mount - the old black version which I've had since 2007. For the last 4 years or so (when my astronomy break began) it's been sat around going rusty in my parents shed. Fortunately the rust is just cosmetic and the mount still functions perfectly. I've now reclaimed it and pressed it back into service.

The new to me: Celestron C8 SCT which I picked up recently on eBay. I have been trying to estimate it's age and I think it was probably made around 2005 or soon after. Dark grey tube, XLT coatings. Optics are in excellent condition and it performed really well this evening.

I've just been out with this new setup for around 2 hours of testing and observing and so far I am extremely pleased. Stars are tight and sharp, the extra aperture is immediately noticeable and the moon was stunning (especially in my new ES 14mm 82 degree eyepiece - thank you Santa!).

I am currently keeping the 102 mak and EQ3 combo as a grab and go kit but may look to rationalise to just the one scope in the future.

Sorry for all the clouds that all of this will inevitably bring!

Archived