NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Realistic expectations of planetary viewing

1 hour ago, Astro_Ranger said:

You are partially correct about not being interested in AP.  My intentions were to use a Zwo brand camera to view on a laptop screen. For me it's easier to do that then look into eyepieces all night.  So planetary photography isn't much of a stretch from this point. Now DSO astrophotography is a ways off for now.  Being able to afford that right now isn't going to happen. In the future maybe do but at the costs I keep hearing about it's doubtful. 

I think they call that EEA... yes planets would be dead easy, although Emil kraaikamp’s website shows that DSOs are easily attainable with that sort of setup too.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, alhiggs said:

depends on his your scope.is the higher the.multimeter the close.you get to see features of the planets 

Just a note for anyone who has yet to try this, I've not always found that putting my multimeter up high improves my planetary views.....

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 20:54, noah4x4 said:

EEA (watching live views using a quality camera viewed on a computer rather than via an eyepiece).

I am interested in finding out more about EEA. Have you any online references where I can read up on it?

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 20:54, noah4x4 said:

EEA (watching live views using a quality camera viewed on a computer rather than via an eyepiece).

I am interested in finding out more about EEA. Have you any online references where I can read up on it?

On 26/12/2017 at 20:21, Astro_Ranger said:

So planetary photography isn't much of a stretch from this point.

From what I've seen, live views through cameras do not match the visual views you can get through an eyepiece. The benefit comes when stacking hundreds of frames during post processing to allow you to pull out more detail.

DSOs are a different matter though, where sensitive sensors and on the fly stacking can really give a benefit.

Archived