NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon camera mod

krobbo

Hi everyone. I'm modding a canon eos 450D by taking out the IR filter. I wanted to replace it with an optically clear piece of glass but I can only find the astronomik one but at £56 it's a tad expensive! Anybody know of anybody else that sells this type of glass cheaper?

OR has anyone managed to get the IR filter out in one piece and managed to strip the coating off? If the sensor is left as is doors it affect the imaging in any way? 

You only remove 1of the two filters on the Astro mod, the other is left in place and so protects the sensor, no glass is needed, unless you are going to use with a lens and need auto focus to work, if not then not needed.. :) 

the 2nd filter is left in place as it has very good IR cut which is needed for imaging especially with a refractor telescope..but it does not cut the Ha like the front filter, hence it is left in place

I second the above comment. I modded my 40D by only removing the IR filter but left the glass over the sensor, works brilliantly.

Dont waste your money on the Astronomik clear glass.. Way too expensive for a small piece of glass and completely unnecessary.

Archived