NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EOS 500D and Powered Hub

michael8554

I happen to run my EOS 500D from port 4 of a 4-port powered hub, mounted on the scope.

Using the USB lead which came with the camera, which is too long.

So I bought a 90cm USB lead. The only one I could find was cheap and probably not best quality, and it doesn't have the ferrite lump at the camera end.

My ZWO 120MM is plugged into port 2.

The 500D wouldn't connect to the PC  when plugged into port 4 with the new lead, but was solid when plugged into port 1, with the power-hungry ZWO happy in any other port, including 4.

Is this normal hub behaviour, or are ports 3 and 4 flakey on this hub?

Michael

32 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

are ports 3 and 4 flakey on this hub?

Hi. Don't know which hub it is, but they're probably all similar. I run a Canon 700d, asi120mm and an eq6 via a powered hub but without the power -got the powered hub version just in case I needed it. It's plugged into a usb3 on the pc. Apart from the mount, any order works. Try with usb3 with and without the power? HTH.

Not all ports on hubs are equal, especially for some hubs that are 'charger' capable, where 1\2 port would be dedicated for charging purposes.

The only sure way to get reliability, is to buy a decent named brand e.g. StarTech, but they are always more expensive.

Archived