Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heritage 130/Merope

The snow/rain washed skies gave extreme transparency tonight no doubt helped by the -20c here by the lake. I've taken a real liking to this telescope and had about an hour to test a few eyepieces to see what works best on what nebula. The 25mm Super plossl is a fine eyepiece for this work giving a superb view of the North American nebula with a DGM NPB. A very good view. I wouldn't buy any other plossl for this scope in the 25mm range... a 24 Pan or ES-maybe.

Over to the Pleiades for a view of the Merope nebula which is said to be difficult but this scope under these conditions make short work of it,with the 25 Super plossl showing it well, with the nice dark lanes showing- try looking for the chain of stars next to the Merope and follow it into the body of the area. The 16T5 Nagler bought the fan to life however as well as the rest of this object. With this EP the object is a very easy direct vision observation and is well on the way to showing the "bubble", with the lane showing in Mels sketch under and to the right of the Merope. To get a really good view of this feature a wide FOV is nice, a bit more than the Heritage offers but none the less this scope works well on it.

Perhaps a Heritage challenge? first the Merope and then parts of the bubble?

I am amazed at this table top telescope.

image.png.e42dd4566200a13b4dc04abe0d75051d.png

Quite perfect circumstances by all accounts Gerry for gaining the best performance out of this quite clearly very capable scope. Interesting use for the plossl, I might experiment with my 25mm TV plossl and 8" dob, instead of just instinctively reaching for the 31mm nagler. Good to highlight this and keep attention centred on the Pleiades, I look forward to another opportunity. looks good for an early session tomorrow night prior to moon rise, have other commitments though, temperature set to fall, not likely as low as -20 though, unless perhaps planning to take a scope up to the summit of the Cairngorm, with wind chill it can get close. Good to post that drawing by Mel Bartels.

Archived