ZWO ASI120MC/MC-S or ZWO ASI224?

As this is my first time buying a camera, I was wondering which one of these I should choose. I've read about them all but is it worth going for the USB 3 120MC or 224? Is is really worth is having double the frame rate or not at all and is there any significant leaps with getting either? 

Thanks, 

Matt

Matt

What do you want to use the camera for? And what will you be attaching it to? A 50mm lens or a 2000mm Telescope? Or somewhere in between?

What kind of targets are you aiming for? The Moon? Planets? Or DSOs?

I have the ASI224 - which I use on a 2000mm RC, shooting the Moon and Planets. I would not use that setup for DSOs (I have an Atik 4000 for that!)

USB 3 is good for high frame rates - but I would suggest an SSD to store the data during acquisition. Most of the data will be dumped anyway - so storage capacity is not so important. Storage speed is.

High Frame rates help with "lucky imaging" and solar system objects.

But I am sure someone who knows the answers to your questions a lot better than I do will be along shortly! :icon_biggrin:

But if you could provide the information mentioned above - they could probably be able to help you more.

Good luck with whatever you end up buying!

Cheers

Ian 

These are planetary cameras really so I assume you are going for planetary imaging. Of the two the 224 will give better results but you will need an IR block filter with it. The 120 has a filter preinstalled. I have used my 224 for some small DSOs like the Owl - you take lots of very short exposures to stack - so called "lucky imaging" as Ian has said.

Peter

1 hour ago, PeterCPC said:

These are planetary cameras really so I assume you are going for planetary imaging. Of the two the 224 will give better results but you will need an IR block filter with it. The 120 has a filter preinstalled. I have used my 224 for some small DSOs like the Owl - you take lots of very short exposures to stack - so called "lucky imaging" as Ian has said.

Peter

Yeah, I was more intending to use this for planetery imaging. I also have a 130SLT and a 2x barlow which should make the 650mm focal length 1300mm. I personally might order the 120MC (not 3.0) because my laptop hasn't got a particular fast hard drive and see how decent it is

Matt

• 3 months later...
On 07/12/2017 at 09:24, PeterCPC said:

It should be fine. Remember to align the colour chanels when processing and use AS!3 for that.

Peter

Even though I know this post is rather old, I went along a bought a 120MC but only now have I been able to use it on Jupiter since it comes up alot earlier now. I managed to get this with it but I know I can get better images with it. Do you have any suggestions? I've been reading that this cameras optimal f/ratio is 19 and if I get a 3x barlow I can get mine to f/15. Do you think this would help or should I try something else?

Thanks,

Matt

Jup_024753_pipp.png

Options are a bigger scope such as an SCT or you could try a 3x Barlow. You need to ensure that you get the focus spot on so I would use a Bahtinov mask on a nearby star for that. Take videos of about 30 secs duration or so for stacking in AS!3 and then tweak the image in Registax wavelets etc.

Peter

Since I only hava the asi120mc, I can't give a comparison. I will say the asi120mc has been a solid performer for me. Registax had been my photo editor for several years but they changed Register so I have to go through other programs to make the image work in Registax. Very annoying. Getting through the menus on deep sky stacker, etc., is a hassle for me, so if the other camera is Registax ready, consider that. Now I'm using a Canon T5 Rebel for picture and the asi120mc for autoguiding. If I'm just doing planets the asi120mc is still great. 

Archived