SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Milky Way with half moon

Astro_king

Hi Guys,

I intend to go to surprise view car park to see the milky way this week when it's clear.

In the past twice I have ended up at a dark site with the full moon out which killed any chance of seeing the milky way.

Could someone please advice me if it's worth going to surprise view car park when the half moon is out to see the Milky way and also do some DSO observing.

If you wish to optimise your chance for a great milky way views . And optimise DSO. Then I should imagine the moon out and the light pollution around Manchester will not assist at all in your quest. You would be better off filling the tank up and going further up North. The Isle of Skye is the place to go if you can . Compared to me you are half way there and if you wish great Milky way views and DSO then a really dark site is where to head for ?

Surprise View won't give you a great view of the milky way, even on a good night. It will be visible, but you need to work at it.

Forest of Boland is better, that will give you some nice views, but you need to go really dark for fantastic views - Brecon Beacons is my best view so far

Archived