Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ioptron CEM25P or HEQ5 Pro

daveangie0110

Hi All,

I am looking at taking my imaging to the next level and i want to purchase a "Goto" mount, i have a budget of about £800, i have been looking at either the Ioptron CEM25P or the Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro, i have a William optics ZS61 scope at the moment but later may upgrade this to something a little bigger.

Can anyone give me some pros and cons on these mounts please.

Thanks

I had a HEQ 5 Pro for a good while and when it was powered correctly ( I had a cable issue) it tracked well for visual over long periods with highish power and I understand from reading many accounts that it is a capable imaging mount as well. They often crop up secondhand.

For size I would say you were OK up to about 12KG for imaging, I used a M/N 190mm on it but this would be too big for this type of work but I got by with it for visual.

Have a wander to CN have read of this: CN-CEM25P

Saw it last night and a CEM25P is one I am half thinking of, interesting read.

Will also say the Skywatchers are not perfect bits of equipment either.

iOptrons seem a bit optimistic on their load capacity, I tend to assume that 20lb is a better maximum for the 25P rather then the given 25lb. Really the 2 mounts appear to have a fair difference in then, even if the specifications indicate they may be alike.

Archived