Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Short Session, Mixed Bag

cloudsweeper

Out at 5.30pm under a clear sky; aligned the 8SE on Altair only - feeling lazy.

Saturn Nebula C55 Planetary Neb in Aquarius - GoTo spot on - like a fuzzy star at x48, increasing in apparent size at x113, 169.

Dumbell Nebula M27 Planetary Neb in Vulpecula - GoTo again put me right on it - a large patch in a rich starfield - stood out more at x169, occupying a large part of the FOV, but no characteristic shape was discernible.  The OIII filter made it clearer with improved contrast.

M71 Globular Cluster in Sagitta - bang on - nicely framed in a rich starfield at x 85 - core clearer at x 113.

Ring Nebula  M57 Planetary Nebula in Lyra - right on target - clearly a ring - good at x113, especially with AV and the OIII filter.

Stars Delta 1, 2 Lyrae - bang on again, using SAO numbers - a pair of doubles, but not split.

Finally stars Zeta 1, 2 Lyrae - a multiple system according to the Cambridge Double Star Atlas - seen as a bright, close pair at x48.

I came in for a meal after just an hour - but a satisfying session.  And apart from observation, I was pleased with the new hood which I kept on without really being aware of it, and which was very helpful at the EP; also the table I knocked up in the shed to accommodate the laptop, EPs, and logbook; and finally the GoTo, which performed really well, despite operating from just a simple one-star alignment.

Doug.

Sounds a nice session Doug :icon_biggrin:

I took my 12" dob to a society outreach event this evening. Lots of young folks and their parents with enthusiasm to spare, which makes it worthwhile.

First night this year that I've needed lots of layers on though - brrrr !

7 hours ago, John said:

Sounds a nice session Doug :icon_biggrin:

I took my 12" dob to a society outreach event this evening. Lots of young folks and their parents with enthusiasm to spare, which makes it worthwhile.

First night this year that I've needed lots of layers on though - brrrr !

Good work with the outreach, John!

As for the cold, let's hope the drop in temp. also means fewer clouds......

Doug.

(Bit of news: I'm collecting a WO SPL 3mm from the Mail Depot this morning.  It'll give me a decent magnification in the ST120.)

A good report. I like it when people give the name and/or constellation of the objects as well as the Messier number. I can only remember M 51 and M 2 at the moment but when you describe your targets I know exactly what you are talking about. I must give those stars in Lyra a try. I didn't know about them. Thanks.

1 hour ago, domstar said:

A good report. I like it when people give the name and/or constellation of the objects as well as the Messier number. I can only remember M 51 and M 2 at the moment but when you describe your targets I know exactly what you are talking about. I must give those stars in Lyra a try. I didn't know about them. Thanks.

My pleasure, Dom!  Apart from Ms 51 and 2, I bet you also know the "top two" - M42 (Great Orion Nebula) and M45 (Pleiades, Seven Sisters open cluster in Taurus).

Doug.

I've spotted 82 of them to date (he says proudly) but the Messier numbers don't make a lasting impression. At the moment it's all M 31 and M 110 and I couldn't tell you the winter ones. Now the night owls are starting to view Orion I'll keep having to google M 42 about ten times until it sticks but I'll forget M 31.

I just liked the way you wrote M 71 globular cluster in Sagitta. My first glob and for me it sort of marks the beginning of having a hobby rather than just a telescope. If you'd just written M 71 I would've either skipped it or googled it depending on my mood. The amount of times I've googled M 31 only to find it was the Andromeda galaxy. In a perfect world people would say the Crab Nebula when they write M 1 (or both, of course) and I thought I'd register my appreciation that you do it ( rather than mention it when someone doesn't)

Reading that back, I sound like a bit of a nutter. Anyway, your targets bring back memories for me so thanks for that.

Archived