NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon DSLR Imagining

Kaliska

I'm pretty new here and just wanted an explanation regarding DSLR's. I'm currently looking at purchasing a used Canon T5 or T6 or .... (still undecided), but want to know about getting it converted for astro imaging.

I've seen people who can do this for you, but can i still use the camera for normal day to day pictures? If i can, what modification will i need?

I've also seen Astronomik Clip-Filter System, is this used in addition to an already modded camera or just a new/different solution to an unmodded camera (and is it any good?).

Thanks in advance.

Have a look here as it should tell you what you need to know. The filter you refer to is used to reduce light pollution (orange) and fits inside the camera - it also protects the sensor from dust. It is used on modded and un-modded cameras. They are good quality IMO.

Peter

42 minutes ago, Kaliska said:

I'm pretty new here and just wanted an explanation regarding DSLR's. I'm currently looking at purchasing a used Canon T5 or T6 or .... (still undecided), but want to know about getting it converted for astro imaging.

I've seen people who can do this for you, but can i still use the camera for normal day to day pictures? If i can, what modification will i need?

I've also seen Astronomik Clip-Filter System, is this used in addition to an already modded camera or just a new/different solution to an unmodded camera (and is it any good?).

Thanks in advance.

Its performance depends on the type of light pollution you have locally. It will not do much against the newer LED lighting. It works well against conventional lighting though. 

It is used in addition to the IR modification of the DSLR to increase contrast and in fact wont work well when the camera is not modified as the color balance will be way out. 

Get your camera modified, assess your light pollution type and levels and then decide which filter is best for you. 

You will want the Baader IR filter modification if you want to use the camera for daylight photography too, but you dont get something for nothing and the daylight performance of the camera will be reduced (the color balance will be very slightly out in the red). 

Archived