SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lunar fly by

I have been outside 4 nights waiting for this chance to come just for this challenge :) , approx 20 hours plane spotting. So many near misses, and I almost gave up. I have seen thousands of planes criss crossing the sky coming within mm's of the Moon.

This was going to be my last night's attempt. It payed off, I got the shot I wanted, and it was straight through the middle. My heart raced when I realised it was on target, how odd :) 

I got 28 images from the nose at the limb to the tail at the limb.

High altitude Jet fly by of the Moon.

Equinox 80ED Pro & Canon 1300D video mode ISO800 highest shutter speed. 

Cheers

Nige.

image_edited.jpg.2dbe66a6fd3a3fb6408435b4bd58004b.jpg

Excellent shot :) I was looking through the view finder of my camera at the moon the other night, with my remote release in my hand, when I was taken by surprise by a plane flying a cross. For some reason I didn’t press the button. Would have probably missed anyway. Glad you captured it in the end.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Excellent shot and video, patience rewarded!

It always makes me jump when a plane crosses the moon when I'm observing it!

Thanks for your comments.

Stu, I started off trying to capture the shot with single snap shots, soon realised it would not work unless I had lightning reactions which I don't :) There was a close fly by where the wing of a plane clipped the moon, I got in a bit of a state as it approached, fumbling fingers and slightly shaking I pressed the shutter about 2 seconds too late, then had to calm down a bit :D  I would love to see that moment on video, after the incident I had to laugh at myself and re think the procedure. Still this video got the heart rate up a little :) Just because its the shot I had been waiting for and its about to happen.....I had to run in and tell the wife "I got it I got it" To my surprise she was quite impressed :) 

Cheers

Nige.

Archived