NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stuck between 2 (I think)

Quite simple really. ..

My 12" revelation solid tube is going shortly so I'm looking to get something more manageable. Preferably no reduction in aperture just easier to transport. I'm looking at 12" Lightbridge or 12" SW Flextube. My problem isn't weight incidentally, it's purely because the Revelation solid tube is so cumbersome.  If money was no object I'd go straight for Lukehurst or Sumerian but alas I'm restricted, by choice and justification to a max of £700 which puts me in the realms of my 2 choices used price. But which one. 

Your thoughts and advice would be grand please.

Ally

I'm not at all familiar with the Flextube, but one of my clubmates has a 12" Lightbridge. I'd buy one just because it's a beautiful piece of telescope. It breaks down easily, he can assemble and collimate it in about ten minutes, and the viewing is incredible. 

I had a 12" Lightbridge for about a year. It was a decent scope but very heavy I found. The mirrors and mirror cells are the same as in your 12" Revelation (both scopes made by GSO). While the Lightbridge does break down into lots of pieces, this takes a while and can be fiddly.

I have used a few of the Skywatcher Flextube 12" and liked them. If I had a choice between a Lightbridge and a Flextube I'd go for the latter. I think Skywatcher mirrors are, on average, a little better than the ones in the Lightbridge and Revelations as well.

Hi Ally

I have a 10" Skywatcher 10" collapsible Dob

Simple to use, easy to transport, both mount and tube just sits on back seat of my car

Available in 12", and can get "go-to" model as well

Have attached pic of my dob taken at a recently public viewing night with my club, Goldcoast, Australia

Cheers

John

Skywatcher 10 inch Dobson.jpg

Archived