Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mystery objects transiting the sun: What are they?

Subdeo

Hello all!

Yesterday, I watched the ISS transit the sun from my location. I took the video at 1/8 speed on a smartphone. However, as I was studying the video, I noticed five other objects also transit the sun.

One of them is definitely a bird or other flying creature because it was out of focus, like it was much closer than what I was observing. one of them was obviously the ISS. Still, I can't tell what the other three were.

They were very steady in flight, leading me to believe that they were not insects. I have attached the video (about 103 MB, 8-9min) so you can see it too. Because my video trimmer has just started reducing video quality when using it, I have simply included timestamps instead of trimming it. Because I just held the smartphone up to the telescope eyepiece, the video quality is not very good. I know this is not a good way to do astrophotography :).original (1-8 speed).mp4original (1-8 speed).mp4 Thanks in advance for the advice. I'm puzzled as to what these are. I was of the opinion that these transits were less frequent than this, but I don't see what else they could be.

Timestamps of interest:

Timestamp: 3:15

Object: terrestrial, probably bird

Actual Time: 12:23:26pm MDT

Timestamp: 6:54

Object: Unknown

Actual Time: ½ second before 12:23:54pm MDT

Timestamp: 7:34

Actual Time: ½ second before 12:23:59pm MDT

Timestamp: 7:44

Actual Time: 3/8 seconds before 12:24:00pm MDT

Timestamp: 7:47

Object: ISS

Actual Time: 12:24:00pm MDT

Cannot play the video but as there are well over 2000 significant satellites up there high chance of them just being a satellite. Also 2000+ is simply the main ones there are a number of others, smaller, that would also be visible.

Don't think there is any site that would indicate sun crossing satellites, but you may be able to enter your laocation and time into calsky and find out the major ones at the time. However that will just be the major ones, guess 3, 4 or 5 and as said there are actually a few thousand.

Reading that they were throwing out a collection of new Iridium satellites a few days ago.

Archived