Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lagoon & Trifid Nebulae from New Zealand

moondog

Almost full, bright moon last night, but I had the borrowed CG5 mount and the sky was reasonably clear.

For a first go I'm pleased with the image.

ZS66 with Canon 350D. 11 subs 30 secs @ 1600 ISO. Due to bright sky longer subs were washed out.

MD

8427_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Thanks for the comments guys.

Kevin - This was just a first run through with the set-up. Polar alignment was a best guess.

The sky where I am is reasonably dark, but because the borrowed CG5 has only a car cigar lead I couldn't put the scope in the best place. There was a nearly full moon and a bit of a low sea mist, so I was surprised the image turned out as well as it did. With a better sky I'll try longer subs at lower ISO.

I've still to have a first go with the QHY6 CCD with the Ha filter.

Dave - Have you got down to Oz yet ? I need to get used to the set up as well as learn the sky - it's amazing when the handset gives lists of alignment stars that I've never heard of. I'm slowly getting there!

8)

MD

Thanks Rob - my sky here is certainly better than 'oop north' in the UK. The sky takes a bit of learning as well - particularly when it goes the wrong way, and a lot of the 'interlopers' from the northern hemisphere appear upside down!

September here is supposed to be a bad month for clear skies since the weather's warming up - but it's not been too bad so far. Just wish I had all my own equipment here though.

8)

MD

Archived