Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

19-09-2017 Observation Report

Chefgage

First time out observing for about a couple of months.  I have been put off as late because of a neighbours outside light that they leave on all night sometimes which usually coincides with clear skies!!  Anyway they are in holiday this week and as it was clear last night out I went.

Managed to tick off a few messier objects, some globular clusters.  The objects I ticked off where, M2, M15, M57 and M71.  There were a couple of others but i did not record them and cannot for the life of me remeber what they were.

The globular clusters just looked like fuzzy blobs with direct vision. With averted vision they looked a little better but certainly nothing to write home about, bit disapointing really.  I observed M3 late last year and that looked excellent, lots of individual stars and nice and bright to look at. The same could be said for NGC869 and NGC864. I observed these two again late/ early this year and they were spectacular even from my heavy light polluted skies.

So i am not sure if the globular clusters i observed last night will always look like that for me or if conditions were not very good last night (even though it was totally clear of cloud).  Unfortunitly i could not observe m3 and the double cluster due to their location.

On a positve note my view of M57 was the best i have seen. I did not need much averted vision to see the ring and even directly looking at it i could almost make out a ring. Seemed alot brighter as well.

Archived